Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Life



One aspect of our trip I was not ready for was a phone call from Derek on June 22. He called to tell me one of our friends from Providence had passed away. I was in shock and denial to say the least. Linda and Brad have been good friends of ours for years. She and I have been pregnant at the same time with both my Allee and her daughter Ryen, my Pierce and her Jack, and now we are both having girls.
You go through life knowing there is death and heartache, and knowing that the Lord has a plan, but I have never been this close to a situation where I have been left baffled as to why things had to happen this way.
We were able to attend the funeral on July 1st, and it was the most beautiful, emotional, and heart wrenching thing ever. The stories of Linda made Derek and I laugh and cry.
As time has passed, I have been reminding myself just how precious life is.
Is it really necessary to get after the kids for that?
The housework can always wait.
Do I tell my family I love them enough?
What will my kids remember me by when they look back on their childhood?
During the funeral some of Linda's blog posts were read about her children and it really made me realize just how important this "journaling" is. If nothing else this is always here. My kids will be able to look back and read stories about their life, things we did together, and just how wonderful I think they are.
So I will do better, and try to be better, and the next time I feel like yelling, just take a moment and remember that life passes us by quickly. And most of all make sure Derek and my kids know just how much I love them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend! It is never easy, but seems to really hit home when it's someone that is younger and should have had so many years left here with us! As you have stated - makes you appreciate what you have and serves as a reminder to us about what is REALLY important in life... not the mess that's around the house, not the dishes that are in the sink from last night... it's the family time, the laughs, the smiles and the hugs that you share with those you love. My prayers go out to you and their family.

    ReplyDelete