Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Springfield Zoo

This weekend we ventured down to the Springfield Zoo. It really isn't that long of a drive, about an hour and twenty minutes and WOW was it worth it.

First of all, there is a little place where you can feed some goats and a donkey. Allee absolutely loved it. She was so excited and kept asking for more money to get food for them. Pierce on the other hand was entirely the opposite. This boy usually has no fear, but as soon as the goats walked up to him he was literally climbing over my shoulder to get away from them. Anytime I would walk close to the fence he would freak out and start squirming and whining. It was so odd, I thought he would love them. And as you can see by our pictures, he is so stubborn right now, I never get a good picture of him, that little turkey.

The other great thing about this zoo is how close the animals are. We took this picture without even zooming. The elephants were right there, it was so interesting. Allee was able to see up close their skin texture and we were all watching in amazement as they fed themselves, it really is odd how they can move their trunks like that! The giraffes were the same, and Allee really loved being that close to all the animals, she was interested in ALL of them and we were not able to pass anything by without a closer examination.

After the zoo we explored the town, and let me say I found my refuge from the small town life here in Clinton. The mall was huge and even had a Yankee Candle store. I think it is the biggest mall I have ever been in. We spent three hours walking around and never even saw the whole thing. There are a bizillion restaurants (YAY), we decided to eat at Red Robin because we knew the kids would eat well there. I realize that it is little far away, but when we really want a good dinner or want to do some Christmas or birthday shopping, viola, we now have stores!

3 comments:

  1. Yea!! I'm so glad you had a good day in Springfield! I'm glad you liked the zoo... definitely a place we can venture with the kids this spring/summer. And you've even seen more than I have. I haven't been to the mall yet, but it sounds like a good one. Can you say, "Road trip for Amy and Angie??"
    Hope the beginning of the week is going well! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks (and sounds) like SOOO much fun! Do some shopping at the GIANT mall for me! :) The best part is you and Derek get to discover new things together! You adventurers you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you guys are finding things for us to do when we visit! Glad you noticed the jab! (He, he, he!) Love you lots! It was so great to see you! We miss you guys like crazy! When Liv woke up from her nap, she kept saying, "Where Aunt Amy go?" And I would respond that we will see you at christmas. Then we have to go through the role call of Derek, Allee, and Pierce too?! Can't wait until December!

    ReplyDelete