Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

Halloween was definitely different this year. It was our second one away from Utah, and this year Halloween was on Sunday. Normally on Saturday we would be getting the kids all dressed up, but not here in Missouri. Derek and I had a couple of conversations about whether or not to take the kids out on Sunday, but we decided that none of our Halloween traditions broke the sabbath, and how could we not let them go.
We went to a trunk or treat at First Baptist Church which the kids thought was pretty fun, but honestly I am not a huge fan of trunk or treats. I think Halloween should be spent walking around the neighborhood, bumping into friends and neighbors and walking door to door (but that's my opinion!) Allee especially loved seeing her kindergarten teacher Mrs. Johnson who handed her hand fulls (not kidding!) of candy. She felt pretty special.
Afterwards we walked around our neighborhood, not because we needed more candy, but because everyone was out and that is the fun of the holiday!

Allee was Gabriella from High School Musical. This is the first year I haven't made the kids costumes and I was a little sad. I found this on such an awesome deal, that I couldn't pass it up! She looked beautiful and was covered in sparkles.
Pierce was VERY insistent that he would be a fireman this year. I tried to talk him out of it and I almost made him the costume I wanted, but after some coaching from Derek (like why am I fighting with a 2 year old over a Halloween costume!) I gave in.
This is the costume I made him last year. It was gigantic then and it fit perfectly this year. He was so happy with it and he was so excited to put it on.
The kids had a blast and ate way too much candy, but that's what Halloween is all about!

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY agree with the Trunk-or-Treat thoughts! Was ok to do this year, but don't think I'll be participating again next year. What time did you guys go?? I was there right around 6pm and was home by about 7pm.

    ReplyDelete