Thursday, January 13, 2011

Resolutions

I will admit that I am not the best when it comes to resolutions, nor am I the worst. Usually my wonderful goal oriented husband will sit down with me and we will go over our goals from the previous year, take inventory on ourselves and set new goals were needed. I have definitely made strides in many categories including family prayer, going out to eat less, and adding to our savings account. Completing a goal or two, or just improving on the past year makes you feel such a sense of accomplishment.
In 2010 our family made a very substantial goal. Reading The Book Of Mormon TOGETHER. That means that Derek, myself, Allee (5 at the time), and Pierce (2) all had to sit together at night and read.
I am ecstatic to say WE DID IT!!!
It was amazing for our family! It opened dialogue about who the prophets were, what they taught and all the amazing stories inside from Nephi to Captain Moroni. We pulled out our gospel art pictures and were able to retell the stories for some family home evenings.
Our family could tell such a difference the nights we read. Allee and even Pierce reminded us that we needed to read. Bedtime went smoother most nights (lets be real, they are still kids), there was a closeness between us, and most importantly the Spirit was brought into our home (some nights more than others!). Allee learned to read by taking her turn reading.
Taking this challenge has been one of the most amazing experiences for our family. We were all so proud when we read the final chapter.
So, now what? 2011 has brought our family a new goal: Reading the Doctrine and Covenants. We are ready!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! What a worthy goal...you may have just inspired me to do the same for our family this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I haven't dared thinking our kids are to young. We have just stuck with the animated version. But if you guys could do it we should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete