Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5K

I never thought it was possible. In fact if you would have told me a few months ago that I would even want to run a 5K I would have told you that you were crazy. But that is exactly what I did.
Some girls in my ward were talking about running it, and I thought it sounded pretty easy and they convinced me to run it. I came home and told Derek my plan and he thought I was crazy. The 5K was in two weeks, and I absolutely HATE to run. I didn't train except for running a couple of miles a few days before the race. I didn't want to be fast by any means, I just thought it would be a huge accomplishment for me to do it. A few prominent men in my life, (Derek and my Uncle Matt) doubted my mad running skills, and that fueled me even more.
It was SO much fun. It was a freezing cold morning, but the miles went by quickly, in fact I was surprised when I hit the one mile mark. I will definitely do it again. The feeling of me actually accomplishing it was exhilarating. I was not fast, in fact it took me 35 minutes, but that wasn't the point. I did it, and it has been a long time since I have been able to accomplish something myself that didn't have anything to do with Derek or the kids.
So the moral of the story, this girl that HATES to run did a 5K, and loved every minute.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Amy!!! So glad you enjoyed it and proved those men wrong. Shame on you boys for doubting her ability/drive to complete the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you were able to do something for yourself. You are so amazing. I am proud of you and wish that I could have been there to see you. I Love You. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Amy!!!! I love that you just went for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out Amy, it sounds like you are getting the running bug! It gets you when you least expect it! It looks like you guys have adjusted well. I am worried you may never want to move back. I miss you tons. I am glad you guys are doing so great! I can't wait to tell Elli that Allie is riding her bike without training wheels. Maybe that will motivate her!

    ReplyDelete