Friday, May 13, 2011

5K with my Allee



After doing the temple run, Allee and I decided we could totally do a 5K together.
On May 7th we donned our matching t-shirts, put our hair up in twiner ponytails, and set out.
We rode the bus to the Katy Trail where the Girls on the Run race was to be held, and Allee was pretty nervous as I was pinning her number on.
We met up with other mom/daughter teams in our neighborhood. Tara and Mikiah and Beth and Jadyn. The girls jumped around and talked about how fast they were going to run.
Once the race started she shot off like a bullet, I couldn't keep up with her! Luckily that lasted about 2 minutes and then our pace evened out. After some much needed water at the half way point (the morning started off cool and then it turned humid), we developed a system to our running/walking. We would run for two telephone poles and then walk for two. We did this up until the 1/4 mile mark and then we jogged the rest of the way. Allee would say, "I don't think I can do it." I kept encouraging her and once she heard and saw the crowd of people cheering her on she no longer had any doubts. Allee and I completed our 5K in 44 minutes.
It was so fun to have Derek and Pierce at the finish line cheering for us and taking our picture. I was SO proud of Allee, words can't express. She accomplished something amazing, something many people never do, and it touched my heart that we could share this experience.Afterwards when we were talking about the race she would just talk about how "awesome" it was at the end, and how fun it was to cross the finish line with all those people cheering for her.

Allee you are AWESOME and I am so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment